Enjoying Global Eco… Sustainably
Before you get here
- Offset your flights
- Book accommodation close to the venue, so that you can walk
- Remember to pack your reusable water bottle, keep cup, steel straw and shopping bag
- Pack breathable, cool clothes (and get ready to enjoy the tropics!)
- Save the conference program on your computer / mobile device so that you don’t need a paper copy
- Create an e-business card to exchange your details with new contacts
- When travelling throughout the region, use public transport, carpool or hire a bike.
- If you do hire a car, choose a smaller one with better fuel efficiency.
- Remember to switch off your car (no idling).
In your accommodation
- Say no to daily room cleans and reuse your towels, like you do at home.
- Turn off your lights when you leave the room.
- Keep your air conditioning on 24ºC, and use only when needed (keep your blinds down when you’re out to keep your room cool, open windows for fresh air and turn off air conditioning when not in the room).
- Switch appliances, like laptops and kettles, off at the wall when not in use.
- Fill up your own water bottle, rather than purchasing plastic bottles from the mini bar or vending machine.
Experiencing the city & surrounds
- Check out some of the surrounding sites with an ECO certified tourism operator.
- Give maps and brochures back to the place you got them (e.g. the local visitors centre) so these can be reused by other visitors.
- Eat at local restaurants (bonus points if you get a local to share their favourite hidden gem!).
- Buy local products where possible to support the community.
- BYO keep cup when purchasing takeaway coffee.
- Remember to apply natural sunscreen at least 30 minutes before getting in the ocean, to avoid impacting the reef.
During the Conference
- Remember to separate your rubbish – lots of items can be recycled! Look for the signs.
- Even if all the food looks great, only put on your plate what you really will eat to reduce food waste. You can always go back for seconds!
- Be open to learning something new and discuss your best eco travel tips with other delegates.